Thursday, February 7, 2008

Insurmountable Obstacles

It seems Israel is going to proceed with a plan to secure its border by building a fence along its 150-mile border with Egypt. There has also been talk of fencing the US border with Mexico, although I didn't follow the news closely enough to know whether that went forward or not. Apparently, fences are becoming a common method of securing borders.

I'm a little worried that this is the best idea we can come up with. I don't know about you, but I've been jumping fences since I was a kid. It's really not all that difficult. Unless they're worried about terrorist midgets, this doesn't strike me as a particularly effective measure.

You know, over in China, they made a fence too, only that one is 4,000 miles long, 25 feet high, and 20 feet of solid rock thick. This was a couple thousand years ago. Now that wall could keep people out. Build that along the border with Mexico, and then we'll talk, but I really don't think we should protect against terrorists the same way we protect our houses from being T.P.'d.

5 comments:

Megan said...

The Great Wall and Berlin Wall had soldiers on top to shoot people who tried to cross. Slightly more successful than a fence.

Anonymous said...

Another historical precedent is Hadrian's Wall. I think that wall included soldier's too (legionaires).
The Mexican border fence will be comparable to the new airport security regime: practically useless, but politically expedient.

Dad

Anonymous said...

...soldiers, too...
(Forgive me, Grammar Nazi!)

Megan said...

The Mexican fence is stupid, but the proposed implementation is even stupider. I see no proof that a fence is needed at all, but if it is, you have to guard it.

I don't understand this American obsession with immigration, anyway. Almost all Americans are immigrants. It's very convenient that they're in favour of immigration when it benefits them personally.

Anonymous said...

Americans in general are enthusiastic about immigration; the issue here is illegal immigration. It's a problem because
1. it's illegal
2. a country, to be self-governed, must control its borders. Otherwise, its laws have no serious effect.
Canada has no serious problem with illegal immigration, so it's probably hard to sympathize. Imagine if millions of Americans drove their SUV's over the border at will, and built themselves little summer cabins along the Canadian lakes that pleased them.
That would be comparable to the issue Americans have with the "Mexican invasion."

Dad